While I was on our 8th and last load of laundry this weekend, it finally happened – our washing machine died mid-cycle.
I unhappily wrung the remaining clothes before putting them in the dryer. It took two hours to get the soggier-than-usual clothes dry.
So here’s my question: should we buy a new washer or should I have the old one fixed? Key points:
- We currently are renting and originally did not want to buy a new washer and dryer until we bought a house one or two years from now.
- The washer is 15 years old. I bought it in Arizona, took it to Florida then California and back to Arizona again. (Have washer, will travel.)
- The brand is Estate by Whirlpool.
- If we fix the washer, will it just break down again in a few months?
- Neither the washer or dryer are rated energy efficient.
- We are very tight financially right now, with our health insurance companies refusing to pay some bills. (Six months later, they still haven’t paid for the treatment of Seth’s 2nd degree burns.)
- If we buy a washer, will we have to buy a matching dryer?
- I usually do six to seven loads a week, but sometimes much more.
- I want a front loader.
- Is spending money on a repairman money wasted?
Please let me know what you think. We can’t go longer than two weeks without a working machine!